Parent Child Program
Parent Child 1
8:45 am – 10:15 am Monday/Tuesday
Parent Child 2
8:45 am – 10:15 am Thursday/Friday
Children must be between the ages of 6 and 23 months old by September 1.
The Parent Child (PC) program is designed to allow the children to explore the environment as the parent or caregiver observes. The program has been established to help parents discover the joy in sharing in their child’s development by observing.
The program is made up of two components: class time for the parent and child and a parent education series. Parents will have an opportunity to learn more about the Montessori approach, discuss common parenting topics, determine their role in the classroom, and have question from class time answered. Parent Education Series dates are determined by the Directress at the beginning of the year. Parents attend without their children.
The goals of the Parent Child program are:
- To foster the child’s development through his/her self-expression within the classroom environment.
- To give parents a better understanding of Montessori as a way of life for their children.
The Montessori prepared environment for the young child promotes the child’s growth in the following areas:
- Motor development (large and small)
- Language development (receptive and expressive)
- Socio-emotional development
The parent’s understanding of the children’s development will be cultivated as they observe the children in the environment, participate in discussion groups, and use other RKMS resources. Areas of focus may include:
- Understanding developmental stages and appropriate activities to encourage such development.
- Practicing and refining observation skills.
- Developing a Montessori “way of life”.